Watermarks

Forgive me if this has been spoken about before. But in one of the videos Dom posted to Twitter there was a watermark which is very disheartening. I don’t watermarks ugly/intrusive/distracting. No matter what kind of video I’m watching it’s one of the first things I see especially if it’s got some weird animation, my eye is immediately drawn to it, rather than the vid. It’s one of the main reasons why I hate tiktok. If there is going to be one, is there going to be a way we can opt out of it or turn it off?

16 Likes

I would rather take watermarks to prevent content from being stolen even if I get annoyed by it lol

22 Likes

Im not much of a watermarks type of person either, but i feel its becoming more and more necessary as we grow into this internet generation. It would be a cool feature if watermarks were optional tho. But yeah i kinda dont really care if someone takes my video as long as its seen thats cool with me. But a feature to have it turned off seems nice. :sunglasses:

12 Likes

I get that people are protective of their content, I am. But that’s why I find watermarks so intrusive. I made this thing, why is an app slapping their label on it?

8 Likes

Some people work very hard on their content to make it look a certain way. There were a lot of artists on vine who were meticulous about the visuals they were putting out there. A watermark would have interfered with their vision. Not to sound pretentious but it’s like having someone else’s signature on a painting you made.

5 Likes

Like, if people want to still your content, it’s really easy to get rid of a watermark. Resize it, poof it’s gone.

2 Likes

that feature exists to protect creators and only applies if someone other than the creator downloads the byte. you have access to a version without a watermark if you made it.

we’ll see about adding an option that allows creators to make the non-watermarked version available to people who want to download if there is enough demand for it

35 Likes

Yay, i like that non-watermark option :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Is there going to be a feature that allows creators to remove the watermark while their byte is on the app? I don’t really mind watermarks I’m just curious.

5 Likes

there is no watermark in the app. it’s only when you download it

22 Likes

how do you feel about what tiktok does with the fade out to show the user profile after a video?

7 Likes

couldn’t imagine a cornier treatment

25 Likes

:joy: that’s so mean

2 Likes

what about something in a shutterstock style of repeating the username over the top of the entire video until you pay for it? :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Now that’s interesting lmao a percentage of the money would go to the user I’m assuming?

2 Likes

bytes would probably get downloaded and shared less if you had to pay. Less publicity through comps and stuff that way. :frowning_face:

5 Likes

when good jokes go wrong

14 Likes

you miss 100% of the jokes you don’t attempt

5 Likes

Watermarks in general are disgusting but I do like Tiktoks approach of showing both the logo and the user who created the content. I do think the watermark for tiktok is too loud so I would hope Bytes would be a bit more softer.

5 Likes

tbh i’ve always put my own small watermark of just my username on the vines i made

3 Likes