the byte community forums

Thoughts on MTV's Tana Turns 21

Here’s the link if you haven’t seen it.
I personally think MTV didn’t give her a proper introduction because anyone watching it besides Tana’s fanbase would not understand who and what she does for a living. This is only the first (very short) episode, but it is a glorified vlog on MTV’s channel. I was excited to see a YouTuber transition to traditional media like TV, but I’m not sure if this will be a success.

I feel like this brings in a conversation about how the internet doesn’t really respect online content creators as opposed to traditional media. The editing and lack of care with Tana’s show just shows this further. I hope online artists garner more attention in the future as we progress.

6 Likes

I don’t know who that is so I don’t care :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Why do channels wanna pick up trash and make it irrelevant this is why MTV doesn’t have a goid rep anymore :sob:

6 Likes

I’ve watched some of Tana’s videos on YT over the last few years. She can be quite entertaining. And annoying. But what I like about her is how honest she is about herself and her many screw-ups. Even though she puts on this “crazy-bitch” persona, there is also something likable about her, which is why she has so many fans.

I think her biggest problem is the people she sometimes surrounds herself with. Like that creepy manager, Jordan. He’s so unprofessional and stupid, I can’t believe she keeps him around, especially because he was partially responsible for that TanaCon fiasco.

After watching that video, I had to laugh at all the hand-wringing about Tana turning 21, as though she’s now becoming too old for YouTube and over the hill. :joy::rofl:

6 Likes

I thought it was interesting, though I agree completely that it didn’t give her a really proper introduction regarding her background. If you don’t stay updated with the whole YouTube community and YouTube drama, you wouldn’t have any idea who she was, what TanaCon was, what she was doing with a reality tv show, and why her turning 21 was such a big deal :rofl:

5 Likes

This is nothing new. People in buisness want to talk about the good old days and that stuff, but change is inevitable. Plus in 2019 I can’t say I care much for MTV. When Punk’d was popular I kind of watched it, but could care less for this reality tv

4 Likes

i dont know her either but she seems like an overrated youtuber

3 Likes

it’s getting a lot of hate but idk i finna be watching :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Tana does get a lot of hate. I think it’s mostly related to jealousy.

1 Like

i agree! i have met her twice and she is super nice and charismatic to fans.

I dont like Tana for her racist comments in the past, scamming hundreds of children at a convention and driving under the influence whilst filming herself doing that…

2 Likes

Yea, she also said some homophobic stuff when she was younger, too. But she did apologize profusely for all that and hasn’t done it since. We all say and do stupid things when we’re young, and I believe in forgiveness as long as there aren’t regressions.

I don’t think her intention was to scam people re: TanaCon. That was mostly the fault of her stupid, creepy manager, who is miraculously still with her. They just planned the whole thing very poorly. I have no idea if she refunded all the money or not, I hope she did. But she seemed to feel genuinely terrible about it.

She’s definitely not perfect. No one is. And when you’re in the spotlight, every tiny thing you do is under a microscope. She came from a bad upbringing and is still young, she has already grown a lot and is trying to be better. Most of the time. But her style is not for everyone.

1 Like

Her explanation to using slurs was that she didnt know that they were rude to black people. Now what rapper uses the n word with a hard r. :thinking: . She claimed to be harrassed by a former viner then had to apologize for lying, she glorified stalking people and made herself have a fake stalker, faked and called bomb threats, filmed a dead body and clickbaited it(if she matured since then why would she have not apologized), fans paid for her clothes and no clothes have been given to fans, and been arrested. Now that’s a lot of bad things to do to be just a young girl. I can assure you as someone who is 1 year younger than her, i have never done any of these things listed as she has done. You can forgive someone once and that is fair but to constantly happen and add to her list she doesnt give herself a good reputation. And if you think this is the end of her chaotic behavior then i pity.

3 Likes

Woo girl, spill that tea!

Okay, let’s make you a YouTube star then, because you’d be a much better role model for girls and young women. How’s your selfie game?

2 Likes

I couldn’t do selfies lol, i only show my face sometimes then someone secure watching me is going to idolize and compare theirself to me and id feel too bad.

2 Likes

Then I guess we’re gonna have to settle for Tana. sigh

1 Like

Naw we got good girl youtubers too, merrell twins, liza koshy, neesey, emily boo, kelly eden, joana ceddia and girls on this server :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Oh, I don’t know any of those YouTubers. I guess I’m drawn to the bad boys and girls. :smile:

1 Like

Joanna and Liza were literally viners, Liza has like 17 million subscribers and is now the host of the show double dare and Joana literally gave us one of the most iconic vinew of all time
tenor-30

2 Likes

Oh yea, I definitely remember that Vine. Didn’t remember her name. Wow, didn’t realize she’s had so much success after Vine. I’ll have to check out her YouTube channel, thanks!

2 Likes