the byte community forums

Things I Wished People Told Me Before Attending College

Hey guys, I just started college earlier this year so I’m in my second semester as a freshman. There are a few things that I wished that people would have told me before I attended and things I wish I knew that I want to share with you guys just in case you’re about to attend college.

1. It’s okay if you don’t know what you want to do. My first semester I was a meteorology major. I love the weather but I saw how hard and difficult it was to study it as it involved a lot of math/physics so I changed my major to journalism. I am much more happier and I don’t regret switching. My point is that, everyone will find out what they want to do some point in their college career even if it’s much later on than the average student.
  2. Don’t force relationships. I was stressing sooo much about gaining friends and what not in the first few weeks of college. My social anxiety was real bad and I’m normally an introvert so to try to force these relationships was hard for me. I realized that it’s ok if I don’t have friends right away. I just enjoyed the people who I had in the here and now and I let the new friends come naturally. There is no need to stress over gaining friends. They will happen, it may take a while, it may be quick. It’s different for everyone, but don’t worry about that.
  3. You don’t have to be best friends with your roommate. A common misconception I see is that most people become “bffs” with their roommate. That is not totally true. I believe that as long as you have a nice relationship with them, it’s fine. Kinda like number 2, try not to force things. Just let it happen naturally.
  4. Procrastination…it’s wild. I procrastinate wayyy more in college than in High School because my college schedule is less structured. To help prevent procrastination, I suggest having some sort of notebook to write the stuff you have to do down so everything is a bit more organized.
  5. Remember, you’re there for a good education and not to party 24/7. I wish someone told me that before I entered college because I was constantly debating in my mind to force myself or not to go to parties and yes it’s a great experience and everyone should go to them in college, but you don’t necessarily “have to” attend them all the time.
  6. DO NOT compare yourself to your friends. This was a huge issue with me in the first two weeks of college. I constantly looked at Snapchat and saw how much fun my high school friends were having in college while I was just being sad in my dorm room. It’s hard to not compare yourself with others, but once you do, it feels great.
  7. Motivation slows down a bit in college or for me at least. Having Friday off and not having back to back classes makes me a little bit unmotivated to attend certain classes. It’s okay to have a day or two to relax, but you just need to remind yourself that your parents didn’t pay all this money or you didn’t pay all this money for you to just sit around and do nothing all day. Remember the end goal of getting a good career and a good job and you’ll do great :+1:
    Overall, I struggled like really struggled in my first semester of college, but I learned some valuable lessons. Hopefully you guys can take advantage of what I said because I wish I’ve known these things before I attended college!
31 Likes

my best tip for someone going to college is to actually do the homework. if it’s not for marks and no ones gonna check if you’ve done it, it can be hard to find the motivation to actually do it but trust me it helps…
i learned that the hard way

11 Likes

Yep that is so true! I unfortunately learned that the hard way as well :laughing::sneezing_face:

7 Likes

I wish I could tell you how many people came back to the psych area after a college breakdown. My word of advice is, take a break to enjoy your surroundings and associate yourself with other peers around you. Even if you’re a person who is shy or an introvert, a little conversation with a classmate/stranger can be helpful. I personally (and please don’t do this) smoked weed with a couple of people I met and it helped me with stress and I got to meet good people who I still talk to today. Pretty much, sometimes a break is needed for mental state.

7 Likes

Yesss this is true. College can do a real number on your mentality if you don’t take any breaks. Literally having any social interaction, small or large, helps me so much to get through my day. You guys just need to find your niché and things will be alright. For example, clubs. They helped me SOOO much! Like ya’ll wouldn’t even believe so definitely join clubs cuz they got me out of my first semester funk.

5 Likes

College takes a lot of discipline. It’s even HARDER than high school. High School is about surviving high school. College is about building the next phase of your life. And a lot of people can’t do that in 4 semesters. That’s why you get a lot of college dropouts.

The best part of your post is that you LEARNED those lessons. :brain::100:

6 Likes

Yep!!! This is a huge phase that determines a good chunk of the rest of your life so of course people will feel pressured, nervous, and other emotions like that. It just takes time to work those emotions out.

4 Likes

i plan to go to sf for college but no one jaywalks there and it makes me a bit iffy about even a setting foot in that place

8 Likes

Most honest real world advice I’ve seen on this post for awhile. Good info here

3 Likes

Thank you, I appreciate it! :blush::blush:

4 Likes

Thanks, I currently go to college just 2 days a week an get what you mean with loosing motivation and there being less structured classes, I’m going uni next year which is like college in America I think and if I’m going to pass I’ll need to change and actually do a lot more work in my spare time. As for friends every one always says you make loads and you’re best friends with your dorm mates thanks for the hosesty that it might not be like that aha every one also says there’s a lot of partying which there might but but I get you’ll have to miss a few to focus on work.

3 Likes

Definitely going to utilize this information. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Good!! I’m glad :blush:

3 Likes

this is such a good thread!! i’m a sophomore in art school right now, and my advice is:

• don’t get down on yourself for not going to one of the “top schools” for your major. in college, especially art college, what you put in is what you get out, and if you work really hard on the things you enjoy, you’ll make some great work

• another more-specific-to-art-school thing: go to class!! from my experience, critiques and demonstrations are the most educational things in the world, and you don’t wanna miss that

• talk to your teachers!! they’ll probably be way more likely to give you good grades (or at least be a little less harsh) if they know you personally. plus, they can give you more specialized instruction so you can learn exactly what you need to learn.

• oh also have fun

7 Likes

Tysm for adding this!! I agree with all your points! :blush:

5 Likes

No problem!! And good luck in college!! :blush::blush::call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Awww, I’m leaving college this year.

3 Likes

Good luck!!

1 Like

Your welcome

2 Likes

Oldie but goodie: a lot of people will be starting university / college within the next few weeks (myself included) and all this was super helpful advice :pray:t3::pray:t3::pray:t3:

2 Likes