the byte community forums

Special characters, ascii, & username changes?

Not sure where to categorize this, or if it’s a dumb question, but would ascii & special characters be visible on Byte, or would regular characters only show up? I’m talking about characters like ❁,✧,:heart: & ۩, and text like ⓣⓗⓘⓢ, ᵗʰⁱˢ, 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕤, and 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈 (& probably more). I’d also would the user be able to change their username in the app or would it be a “set in stone” kinda thing? Very curious and I’d like to know your thoughts :thinking:

3 Likes

Quoted from cami :slight_smile:

Usernames:

Right now they’re limited to 20 characters — A-Z, 0-9, periods, underscores, tildes. No spaces. We may expand the limit later, but that’s our starting point. And yes, you’ll be able to change your username anytime from the app.

5 Likes

Ooooh thanks for answering :blush:

2 Likes

Your query about usernames has already been answered (as @Daniel pointed out.) However, I’m also very interested in knowing the answer to your question about special characters… :thinking: Though, my guess is it probably won’t be implemented in the first few public versions of byte since those characters tend to cause quite a few bugs at times…

3 Likes

Yeah :thinking: I’m all good with whatever answer, even if it gets implemented several Byte updates later :smile:

2 Likes

I like the text versions, but if idk about the emojis. It makes it harder to find a user with emojis in the name, or if someone was JUST emojis, you would have to hunt that emoji down

2 Likes