the byte community forums

Self Driving Cars Will Never Take Off (Poll)

Agree or Disagree? (Personally I disagree they’ll ever take off. Good luck automating ice road trucking)

• Agree
  • Disagree

0 voters

when you say take off… do u mean off the ground or…

They’re already starting to become a reality. Tesla’s cars (which are mostly self driving) already are become very popular and Elon Musk has already confirmed that in the soon coming years, they will release a more economically priced car which will open the world of self driving vehicles to even more people. Although the technology isn’t perfect yet, and still require a level of human assistance, we’re already getting close to a time where self-driving cars will be the norm, and as many people who can afford a regular car today will be able to afford self driving cars.

Also, I accidentally put disagree :joy:

i bloody hope not. people are just getting lazier and lazier making AI do everything for them.

a self driving car already hit a lady and killed her. poor woman. imagine that being your death…by one of those stupid things. just no need.

And on average 102 people are killed a day from non self driving cars

I think they will take off like some one said Tesla’s are already becoming very popular and although they aren’t fully automated they are getting there. It’s just a matter of time before more companies come out with them and even if they do take off you still have the option to drive them manually so I don’t see the problem as for ice road truckers I don’t think they’ll be out of their job and time soon

i know and that’s bad. we can’t stop that.
but letting a robot created by humans drive is even worse and something we can stop happening

once they become more accessible to the general public, they will for sure take off

They are always crashing

It’ll be easier to get a self driving car in 30 years than an old model from these years. Just by the fact that it’s on the market right now already sets a standard for the wealthy. And when all the wealthy have self-driving cars, they’ll start buying newer models. What happens to the cars they used to own? They’ll go down the ladder baby! But that’s my speculation, maybe we’ll get flying cars too lol

Self Driving Cars should be for people who suck at driving. lol

I really like what tesla rn is doing, like they have cars that drive by themselves, but you can not always put the self drving mode. I think driving is fun, however if you have a long ride you can put the self driving mode

@AfroDynasty

They’re already starting to become a reality. Tesla’s cars (which are mostly self driving) already are become very popular and Elon Musk has already confirmed that in the soon coming years, they will release a more economically priced car which will open the world of self driving vehicles to even more people. Although the technology isn’t perfect yet, and still require a level of human assistance, we’re already getting close to a time where self-driving cars will be the norm, and as many people who can afford a regular car today will be able to afford self driving cars.

My Response:

I see where you’re coming from with this, but I can’t help think about, what would happen if an automated car were to get an accident with a person, then multiply that by everyone in the world having an automated car. Seems like too big of a disaster waiting to happen. For overnight trucking, maybe, because between the hours of 12am-7am, there’s so little traffic happening on the interstates, maybe automated trucking can take over. I suppose over the next decade we’ll see.

@ShonziTho

i bloody hope not. people are just getting lazier and lazier making AI do everything for them.

a self driving car already hit a lady and killed her. poor woman. imagine that being your death…by one of those stupid things. just no need.

My Response:

Totally agree. Maybe we can have it in limited capacity in some areas, but a commercial automated car dosen’t sound that good of an idea

@Brandon1

And on average 102 people are killed a day from non self driving cars

My Response:

I see where you’re coming from with this, but I feel like AI cars would only make this stat worse in my opinion

@Oren

I think they will take off like some one said Tesla’s are already becoming very popular and although they aren’t fully automated they are getting there. It’s just a matter of time before more companies come out with them and even if they do take off you still have the option to drive them manually so I don’t see the problem as for ice road truckers I don’t think they’ll be out of their job and time soon

My Response:

Definitely agree more companies will embrace this. It would be interesting if automation for online delivery would use drones all over the place. Not as much traffic in the sky, and no people up there.

@Tatyana

once they become more accessible to the general public, they will for sure take off

My Response:

I think they will take off in certain sectors for business perhaps, but my concern is when the AI makes mistakes and crashes into people and other cars by accident.

@Chabe

They are always crashing

My Response:

Agreed

@Danieru

It’ll be easier to get a self driving car in 30 years than an old model from these years. Just by the fact that it’s on the market right now already sets a standard for the wealthy. And when all the wealthy have self-driving cars, they’ll start buying newer models. What happens to the cars they used to own? They’ll go down the ladder baby! But that’s my speculation, maybe we’ll get flying cars too lol

My Response:

Definitely like the idea of flying cars. We’ll see if that ever happens though

@ShawdGawd

Self Driving Cars should be for people who suck at driving. lol

My Response:

True :joy:

well when one AI crashes, all AI’s in the world get updated to not do that mistake, evolving to be better drivers which is safe for everyone

The thing with self-driving cars is that right now they seem scary because they can’t really react as well to spontaneity (drunk drivers, road rage, etc.) as humans can, however once you remove that factor by making all cars self-driving, things will go a lot smoother. Self-driving cars communicate with each other which means they can learn from each other’s mistakes and can coexist on the road without crashing because they are constantly communicating with each other. Basically having only self-driving cars will make the road much safer than it is now—but the issue is getting to that point

@Tatyana

well when one AI crashes, all AI’s in the world get updated to not do that mistake, evolving to be better drivers which is safe for everyone

My Response:

I suppose over the next decade we’ll see.

@PickleJellyfish

The thing with self-driving cars is that right now they seem scary because they can’t really react as well to spontaneity (drunk drivers, road rage, etc.) as humans can, however once you remove that factor by making all cars self-driving, things will go a lot smoother. Self-driving cars communicate with each other which means they can learn from each other’s mistakes and can coexist on the road without crashing because they are constantly communicating with each other. Basically having only self-driving cars will make the road much safer than it is now—but the issue is getting to that point

My Response:

I mean anything is possible, but only time will tell.