the byte community forums

My Shaun White Viral Video Story [Pewdiepie react/Shaun White Tweet/More]

Wow, just wow, where do I begin…

So it all began when I first had an idea to do an olympic edit for a couple of friends that loved the olympics. They suggested I do Shaun White since he won gold for his last time. I was down to edit it and 36 hours of editing (over 5 days) I was finally finished.

Around Saturday at 4:00pm I decided to upload it to youtube (thinking it would get removed by NBC or IOC immediately) so I didn’t have high hopes.

About an hour later nothing got removed so I was like, “Ok lets upload to the r/Olympics subreddit on reddit” and instantly blew up with 100 upvotes in an hour (I’m used to having 100-200 views in a day at the max) and 3 hours later from the upload time it was 1k views. “Not bad” I thought. I was getting so many comments to send it to r/Videos on reddit (almost the biggest subreddit on reddit so there was no way it would get any attention) I was wrong about 2 hours after I posted it to that subreddit it got 900 upvotes and a total of 4k views.

Skip to around 10pm-11pm on Saturday and the video made it to the front page of reddit and 35k upvotes with over 30k views on youtube, I was freaking out. That night it went up about 40k an hour until the next morning I woke up to 223k views in 15 hours and number 14 (later on would be 11) on trending in Canada and number 10 on gaming in America.

Each hour of that day it would go up 10k, I have been getting so many offers and requests to work for people thinking I’m like 30 (I’m only 16) and many new followers on twitter and instagram. (the whole goal was to get shaun white to see it) and people kept spreading it everywhere like wild fire. It got on many websites and news articles that were pretty popular. One of them being Huffington Post yes “the” huffington post. I went to bed that night with around 300k views.

The next morning, Monday, I woke up to 380k and many other websites posting it like Mashable, CBSSports, Yahoo Sports, iHeart Radio and more. Then youtube freezes my view count at 387k for 6 hours because of all of the popularity it has gotten (I lost 70k views that they never gave back according to my analytics)

Around 3:00pm on Monday is when the craziest part happened… Shaun White tweeted "This is awesome! my twitter and link to my video Some girl in my class saw it and started freaking out which cut the class short with everyone running over and looking at twitter. Finally it unfroze and my view count started to go up even more. 450k by the time I went to sleep.

Today, Tuesday I woke up to 500k and went through the day seeing a couple new news post and websites I’m on getting a rough 6k to 7k an hour, (oh btw I’m on a playlist called “instant regret memes” or something) and that is what pewdiepie posted as his video today. Didn’t think much about it until I got a bunch of notifications that I was on his video.

That leads me to now around 7:00pm on Tuesday, March 6th. Hitting 552k vies and 332 more subscribers than I had 3 days ago. My story is probably not over just yet, it’s most likely getting started.

Edit: April 18th about 2.1 Million views

I want to leave with this, anyone can do anything no matter who you are or where you come from, trust me I am 16 been on youtube for 6ish years and just finally getting the recognition, it might take a while but if you stick to one thing you want and love I’m pretty sure one day you will get it.

Links:
Original Video
Reddit Post on r/Videos
Huffinton Post
Mashable
CBSSports
iHeart Radio
Shaun Whites Tweet
PewDiePie’s Video

27 Likes

So proud! Even though i don’t know you! some peeps are probably really jealous of you now… :smile:

6 Likes

Ey nice! Congrats bro! :smile:

4 Likes

BIG congrats to you @Super :grin:!

4 Likes

aww, congratulations! :black_heart::black_heart:
excited to see the rest of your story!

4 Likes

congratulations! I hope that many good things happen to you still :heh:

3 Likes

Congrats man! You deserve it! That’s some solid editing!

6 Likes

God damn making t huge at 16 :smiley:

6 Likes

That is crazy. Guess the hours of work was more than worth it. My life would be complete

Did you tell any friends/family? How did they react @Super

4 Likes

Oh they were so supportive and reacted the same as me, made many new friends too.

3 Likes

@Super Wow! I’m glad that you actually reached this iNsAnE success. no joke, i’m really happy for youuuuuuuuuuuu!

2 Likes

This was really inspiring…well written man. :’) HOPE FOR MANY MORE VIRALS

2 Likes

i just checked: Dolan Dark even commented on your video! HOW CAN I BE LIKE THIS???

3 Likes

Yeah a couple of verified people did and a couple followed me on twitter and instagram

4 Likes

proud, too proud

2 Likes

Well done. It proves that you don’t need to be (or aspire to be) one of the Popular Kids on Vine/social to get your work noticed. :+1:

2 Likes

So awesome!! You deserve all this positive attention

2 Likes

So proud of you! It’s great so see members of our v2 community do well! Also, did you tell your parents about the success? :joy:

2 Likes

he did, they were really excited for him!

2 Likes

810 views away from 1 Million Total views! Crazyyy

3 Likes