the byte community forums

Is the Youtube Trending Tab Rigged?

After watching this video: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BVnWvoCy-0) and heonestly after watching the trending tab over and over again, it seems like Youtube despite not openly saying they do, has their own favorites and ideas about what trends on there. Seems like even if vids are barely there for a minute they’ll eventually get to a million views even if it’s not right away.

4 Likes

Yes it is, end of

5 Likes

It definitely is. It priotizes types of videos over others, and is generally biased towards more advertiser friendly and YouTube partnered channels/vids rather than ones that should actually be there.

6 Likes

changed from off topic to youtube & other

yes its deffo rigged. like everything in the world

3 Likes

I think they personally pick some what go up but the algorithm does play a big roll it’s jist the algorithm is set to family friendly content or tv shows and occasionally some one gets on when the algorithm makes a mistake.

2 Likes

@Daniel

Yes it is, end of

My Response:

Agreed

@AfroDynasty

It definitely is. It priotizes types of videos over others, and is generally biased towards more advertiser friendly and YouTube partnered channels/vids rather than ones that should actually be there.

My Response:

Idk sometimes Youtube really messes up and promotes certain things without realizing such as that certain viner who messed up in Japan. I realize they can’t always be perfect

@ShonziTho

changed from off topic to youtube & other

yes its deffo rigged. like everything in the world

My Response:

Yeah, but the Youtube claims otherwise

@Oren

I think they personally pick some what go up but the algorithm does play a big roll it’s jist the algorithm is set to family friendly content or tv shows and occasionally some one gets on when the algorithm makes a mistake.

My Response:

True, thoughI feel like Youtube uses the alogrithim as a scape goat at times.

3 Likes

I think that whole situation was kind of caused by their bias towards partnered channels. At that time, he was one of the fastest growing youtubers and one of the products of the migration of former viners to youtube.

He brought a lot of new people and fans from vine to youtube which was really good for the site, his brother was also a very large creator and had a youtube red partnership that already had a sequel in the works. Since, as I said, youtube has a bias towards Youtube partnered channels, they put the video on trending especially since it was really blowing up.

If youtube would really take the time to not prioritize talk show hosts, large creators, and celebrities, I think that it could prevent situations like that. Of course, it is fine to promote those creators and influencers, but putting almost 100% of the emphasis on them can lead to mistakes such as that. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Yes its rigged, ive seen videos on trending with 10k views and videos that hit 20 mil in 2 hours never reach yt trending and homepage

4 Likes

Of course it’s rigged! You gotta keep the owners…err…I mean the “advertisers” happy. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

It’s weird though because I’ve seen videos on the trending from people with hardly any subscribers and the videos have about 900 views

3 Likes

Considering that Saturday night live or some variation of it is always there, Yes, it most definitely is.

3 Likes

i actually made like a little video making fun of this topic lol on my channel

2 Likes

@AfroDynasty

I think that whole situation was kind of caused by their bias towards partnered channels. At that time, he was one of the fastest growing youtubers and one of the products of the migration of former viners to youtube.

He brought a lot of new people and fans from vine to youtube which was really good for the site, his brother was also a very large creator and had a youtube red partnership that already had a sequel in the works. Since, as I said, youtube has a bias towards Youtube partnered channels, they put the video on trending especially since it was really blowing up.

If youtube would really take the time to not prioritize talk show hosts, large creators, and celebrities, I think that it could prevent situations like that. Of course, it is fine to promote those creators and influencers, but putting almost 100% of the emphasis on them can lead to mistakes such as that. :man_shrugging:

My Response:

Definitely agree with most said points

@devynb

Yes its rigged, ive seen videos on trending with 10k views and videos that hit 20 mil in 2 hours never reach yt trending and homepage

My Response:

True.

@ShawdGawd

Of course it’s rigged! You gotta keep the owners…err…I mean the “advertisers” happy.

My Response:

Yeah those advertisers tend to over react. Literally one bad incident and all advertisers pull out without really investigating the issue. All they see is a headline from a news story and simply react. Shows the incompetence of PR many times

@Oren

It’s weird though because I’ve seen videos on the trending from people with hardly any subscribers and the videos have about 900 views

My Response:

It’s definitely unusual, whenever I see channels like that, I’ve heard it’s often created by advertisers targeting to 3rd world countries to boos their views. If you use adwords to advertise to people in India for $1000 dollars you’re views will go up a lot more than if you use paid ads for usa viewers or etc

@Soul_Chromatic

Considering that Saturday night live or some variation of it is always there, Yes, it most definitely is.

My Resposne:

agreed

@Evan_Myers

i actually made like a little video making fun of this topic lol on my channel

My Response:

The part about good content is definitely true. Whoever has a contract with them seems to appear on the trending page more. I get it, but I don’t know why youtube lies about this.

1 Like

I do think so…sometimes things that are no where near the trend come into recommendation

2 Likes

I have done a research and keep the trending record. I noticed couple things.

• Few big channels are always on the trending page when they post the video, especially business / mainstream media video (CNN, TV talk shows)
  • Some big channels popular videos after posting within 24 hours would not show up on the trending page . The topics are always a big debatable. I.e. Conspiracy Content, Jake Paul, Logan Paul, Supernatural contents.
  • Youtube Rewind videos are always on trending page (no matter how many dislike the video get)
  • Youtube videos with lots of view yet have lots of dislikes will not show up on the trending page

If you tell me Youtube does not control the trending page, i will believe not.

1 Like

@Music

I do think so…sometimes things that are no where near the trend come into recommendation

My Response:

Sometimes you’ll see the most random thing in your recommend feed while browsing on YT.

@Tkwyoung

I have done a research and keep the trending record. I noticed couple things…

My Response:

Didnt think about till now, but you’re right about how there are never vidoes with lot of views and lots of dislikes. Didnt think about that till now

2 Likes

I know this is an old topic but I know how the trending page works.

It is based off of the sole prospect of GETTING NEW USERS and MAKING MONEY

The trending page is based off of a complex algorithm that is composed of.

• View count
  • Like count
  • Share count
  • Comment count
  • Monetization rate
  • Views by people who have never, or rarely visited YouTube before.
  • NEW PEOPLE signing up from the video, just so they can comment/like it.

YouTube likes having new users on their site, it means more money for them. They will put the videos that generate THE MOST money for them.

3 Likes

I really did think when I saw an ESPN video trending with 64k views in a single day that it was actually trending

3 Likes

There are some independent Youtubers I’m subbed to that I never would have expected to see on the trending tab (Scott The Woz, Beatemups, and GameXPlain), not to mention the big YouTubers that actually deserve to be on the trending tab (Pewdiepie, Jacksfilms, James/Jaiden, the Game/Films Theorists, etc.). My guess is that the algorithm favors music videos and Sssniperwolf videos (not to mention the video with the copycat thumbnail that’s on trending right now), but there’s usually at least a couple good videos every week.

1 Like

Also it seems like they post their new videos at specific times as well. Am I the only one who noticed that?

1 Like