the byte community forums

How TikTok Handles Music and Copyrights

The other day while watching a TikTok video, I clicked on the audio icon to see what the song was and saw this for the first time…

IMG_7909

I found that intriguing. It looks like TikTok actually pays copyright fees for all the music clips used on their app. I wonder how that works? It seems like if you upload a video that uses a popular song, TikTok somehow finds it and tries to obtain copyright permissions for that clip. I guess if they can’t obtain permission they delete the video. ??

There were quite a few creators there who had their accounts suspended for playing music while live-streaming because of the copyright issues.

It’ll be interesting to see how Byte tackles this. Maybe it’ll be different because you can only record up to 6 seconds, whereas in TikTok the videos can be longer.

8 Likes

All I know is it was all linked to UMG

6 Likes

They probs try to find the artist or w/e by ISRC-code to get licensed, not every song has them bc they are not required

4 Likes

I wonder if Byte will have to do the same for a 6-second clip. Vine managed to avoid doing that (I think), so everyone used whatever music they wanted in their clips, which offered a lot of creative freedom.

5 Likes
  1. Byte videos are only 6 seconds…I’m pretty sure the length alone ensures protection by fair use. Besides, Vine made so many songs VIRAL HITS. It’s in their best interest not to make a fuss about music use. (Word of Mouth Makes Money!)

2. TikTok used to be Musical.ly so they had to tackle these issues early. And TikTok videos are LONGER than 6 seconds so I understand about obtaining the rights to the music.

3. I trust that Dom and the Byte Team have thought about these issues. And if a problem arises they’ll find a solution that satisfies both creators and copyright owners.

1. WHY DOESN’T YOUTUBE DO THIS!!! WHY DO COMPANIES LIKE UMG ABUSE THE COPYRIGHT SYSTEM!!! REVENUE SHARING SHOULD BE THE ONLY SOLUTION!! IT’S SAD TO SEE TIKTOK PROTECT ITS CREATORS BETTER THAN A BIGGER COMPANY LIKE YOUTUBE!!!
    (speaking from experience…)
5 Likes

Fair use covers only US tho, there’s no such thing world wide. Videos under us fair use can get claimed/blocked in Europe for example

At some point this was inevitable. byte dance had to pay out eventually. My biggest problem with us copyright law is how it prevents platforms from being profitable. Spotify makes a billion dollar years but still aint profitable if I’m correct.

I don’t think you can get copyrighted from making TikToks because i don’t think it will let someone do over 15 seconds to a song. Saying that, you can get copyrighted for playing music in live streams.