the byte community forums

Forum tweaks

The minimum length for replies and private messages has been changed to 3 characters. 8 was bad. The minimum length for the first post in a new topic remains 20 characters (for now?)

53 Likes

epic

13 Likes

Aww

9 Likes

Rad

10 Likes

noice :ok_hand:

10 Likes

You changed it because of the counting thread lol

14 Likes

yep

33 Likes

Lol

9 Likes

bruh :+1:

8 Likes

A lot cleaner without the extra characters.

9 Likes

Hey can you do a solid and take a look at these while you’re changing stuff?

ty love u lots xx

9 Likes

ok (3char)

10 Likes

Nic​:sunglasses::sunglasses:

7 Likes

The post editing time limit has been changed from 60 days to forever.

24 Likes

More Specific Subcategories / Uncategorized Posts
I’ll talk to @cami_p who can work with moderators about how to best handle this.

Useful Plugins
Unfortunately the hosted version of Discourse we’re using the plugins that are available to us to a select few. I’m assuming the reasoning — beyond the practicality of maintaining a long list of plugins — is that plugins for this type of software can be quite insecure and are a big reason why Wordpress sites (for example) are always getting hacked.

Forum Themes
We can add these periodically, if they’re good and people want them. See the guide here: https://meta.discourse.org/t/developer-s-guide-to-discourse-themes/93648

We need CSS overrides and any assets that go with the theme. Probably no custom fonts outside of Google Fonts because that’s a can of worms.

Solutions / Answers
We do indeed have this plugin. It can be turned on for all topics or only topics in a specific category. Feel free to discuss, but I’d leave the final call up to @cami_p and moderators on where/how it’s turned on.

31 Likes

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to reply, can appreciate that not everything is possible, but figured there was no harm in suggesting!

The post edit time change is something that’s annoyed a lot of people before, so a big thanks for changing that :kissing_heart:

Hopefully more cool forum stuff to come!

10 Likes

rip bbcode :sleepy:

5 Likes

Neat

7 Likes

wow

10 Likes

Lit

6 Likes