the byte community forums

Emoji Usernames/Passwords

Just wanted to make a post about the possibility of using emojis in usernames or passwords on byte. I know that currently the plan is allowing A-Z, 0-9, periods, underscores, tildes and no spaces in usernames, however imagine being able to use emojis in your usernames!

I don’t think it’s even possible to have emojis in usernames right now, but here’s some examples of other ways they can be used, suggesting maybe its possible we could see this in the future.

Domains

For a while now it’s been possible to register domains with emojis. Examples of this are https://i❤.ws/ and https://i😀.ws. Since emojis are just ASCII text, they work with domain names using Punycoding.

Passwords

Emojis can actually be used in passwords on some sites, the biggest of which is Twitter. Emojis are near the safest thing you can put into a password, because brute force hacking programs don’t include emojis, and most people assume you wouldn’t have them in your password. Here’s a breakdown of safety from different characters in passwords.

4 (single number) — 3%
$ (single character) — 10%
:slight_smile: (single Emoji)— 20%
T4 (combination of letter and number) — 14%
:pensive::metal: (combination of two Emojis) — 44%

Looks pretty safe right? Since there are so many emojis, around 2800, this makes the number of possible usernames a number that I literally can’t paste into here, but trust me it’s a big number.

Let me know what you think, will you be using emojis in your passwords? Would you use them in your username on byte? And most importantly, remember to :pensive::metal:

21 Likes

I like this idea if possible. If dom and team can figure out a way to make it happen, byte could be setting the bar high for expectations of other apps :eyes:

:pensive::metal:

11 Likes

My password would be :mexico:

7 Likes

i want my username to be :banana::milk_glass:

5 Likes

My username would be :benface: if that was an emoji but cuz it ain’t (it really should be :roll_eyes::triumph:), i would use the fire emoji :fire: in my user

6 Likes

That’s interesting. This will be my emoji :cowboy_hat_face::ok_hand:

5 Likes

I’d just name my self :eyes: that way when someone leaves a like or comment people will know I’m watching them

5 Likes

:sauropod::flamingo::abacus:

4 Likes

I like this & I could see this, Instagram has this but instead of usernames it’s hashtags & you can put emojis so why wouldn’t you be able to do that with a username? This is really cool!

4 Likes

Completely forgot about them being used in hashtags! Who knows, it seems like a lot of fun

5 Likes

That’s a great idea

3 Likes

Maybeeee discourse will allow this? :eyes:

Probably not, but the idea of having emoji usernames on the forum is cool

This sounds super cool. I’d love to see this idea implemented in Byte.