the byte community forums

Do you think that v2 will have a popular page ? And what are your thoughts on it?

I personally loved the popular page just being that when smaller accounts would make it they were able to really get seen.

10 Likes

I think it’s very important to have some type of system where vines from all sorts of artists are featured. Whether it is through a popular page or some other format, I think an equal opportunity boost of exposure would be very encouraging and beneficial.

6 Likes

Here is a thread that was posted by @Max11255 that expresses a similar concern about a popular page that you might be interested in (Just an idea).

Having some type of system to show smaller creators is gonna be integral to V2 succeeding, so I’m excited to see what they’ll be doing.

1 Like

Yes, i think it should have a popular page, but i think it should be different. Like i believe that a creator should reach a certain amount of likes or loops before being place on the popular page. And also be viewed by v2. Because back on vine some creator paid there way on the popular page. Instead of earning it. And i know people who did this.

5 Likes

What about an explore page, like on instagram, that recommends videos or accounts that you may like.

5 Likes

Personally, I think it would be cool to have a trending page for accounts who have less than x amount of subscribers so underrated viners can get recognition.

4 Likes

Yeah! Obviously to see what’s popular :smile: and to keep it as old Vine.

1 Like

I don’t think it should be considered a popular page, but maybe a like explore page where you can see stuff from everybody, not just making it so the top can be put out there more!

2 Likes

definitely it could be like the explore feature on instagram but I do hope for the algorithim to work in such a way that it would be fair to everyone :slight_smile: but I dont doubt it. I’m pretty sure it would end up being amazing

2 Likes

A popular page could be cool, but I’d like a page too where random people would get recommended to you so you could explore other less popular vines as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Soon Vineee2 will be Popular once again.

2 Likes

Yes, this is probably going to happen as it is on basically every social platform.

1 Like

Something that could be cool is a “random” page, and every day it shows completely random posts. Maybe 5 or 10. That could help artists get traction.

3 Likes

I would be surprised if there wasn’t a ‘popular’ page or something like it. Like, I don’t know how we could discover other people if there wasn’t a tab like that or something.

1 Like

Agreed. Having niche artists get discovered is a very important aspect to get right for v2.

2 Likes

it would be nice to have a section dedicated to posts you might be like.

something similar to what is already being followed

1 Like

Like I said I really like the idea because on the original vine I was not but at all or anything I had a good following but nothing spectacular and there was a few times where I did reach a popular page and it really helped me expand . And I love the idea of not calling it popular either !

1 Like

I think some sort of trending page would be better than a popular page. That way everyone has an equal opportunity to be seen. The popular page I felt was way too hard to get on.

3 Likes

I hate the term “Pop(ular) Page” as it acquired an entirely negative connotation for me and most of my dear familiars on V*ne — BUT I do recognize the necessity for something of its sort to exist within the app experience, especially for new users/viewers. My hope is that V2 will apply more prudently conceived mathematics in identifying content that could be considered “successful.”

FOR EXAMPLE …
— A popular user has 3 million followers. They make a post. (It’s garbage.) It receives 30,000 likes in just 1 minute.
— A fairly unknown user has 100 followers. They make a post. (It’s brilliant.) It receives 60 likes over the course of an hour.
— BOTH OF THE ABOVE SCENARIOS REPRESENT THE EXACT SAME BASIC RATE OF SUCCESS FOR EACH POST (1% per minute)

NOW …
— Consider that within that same hour during which the unknown user receives 60 likes (which is 60% of their follower base), the popular user’s post levels off at 1.5 million likes. Yes, that’s A LOT of likes to receive in just one hour! — BUT, it’s still only 50% of the pop user’s follower base. Comparatively, the unknown user’s content is ahead by a whole 10% and should be top billed as the more successful post!

Admittedly, I’m no mathematician, but that’s how it makes sense to me.

Nevertheless, however it works out, I’m hoping and trusting that V2’s “pop page” will employ a vastly better system than the former one — which seemed to only foster flagrant abuse, content theft, blatant elitism, and in many ways the downfall of a much beloved community.

3 Likes