the byte community forums

Byte Inactive Username Release System

Have you ever wanted to get that perfect username, but it’s taken by an account that hasn’t been used for 6 years? Well, maybe on byte you’ll be able to get it!

I’ve been thinking about this idea for months, but I’ve only just had the time to really look at how it can work in a way that’s fair for everyone. As surprising as it may be, the original inspiration for this system actually comes from the way that minecraft releases inactive usernames.

Personally I think that a good time to qualify accounts as inactive is if they haven’t been logged into in maybe 6 months to 1 year.

Minecraft releases usernames that have been inactive for long times, but also gives every account a unique ID number that sticks with the account when usernames change.

https://namemc.com/minecraft-names

While NameMC works for knowing when usernames are going to be released, I feel like this could be improved upon by giving notifications to people when usernames that they’ve requested either become available or are about to become available.

The other feature I really like from NameMC is being able to set a max number of characters. I also thought that a good idea was to allow users to view only names that are either available or will be available soon.

In terms of the actual requests screen, green would show a username is currently available, orange would show that a username will become available in the near future, and red would show that a username is not going to become available in the near future.

Let me know what you think about this, if any of you have never encountered this problem please tell me because I’m convinced everyone on this earth has!

19 Likes

It’s actually Sharkboy and Lavagirl not Sharkgirl and Lavaboy

6 Likes

First of all don’t assume their genders

5 Likes

get sent an email that has a random generated word string as a username and the same old password

4 Likes

what if you have to login with an email separate from your username that can change

6 Likes

Dan out here lobbying for a Byte staff position too. :rofl:#DanJobs #DanHaffman

15 Likes

oops my bad

4 Likes

Could’ve sworn we talked about inactive users and reusing usernames, but okie with the mock visuals

5 Likes

I swear too but can’t remember where

5 Likes

Not related to recycling names, but…

Just to preface, just a reference

4 Likes

Y’all that’s my bf, I’m so proud :sunglasses:

4 Likes

If you liked the last two threads, I hope you’re ready for 3 more :eyes:

4 Likes

Man, Dan is ON IT

2 Likes

I really love this idea. Too many inactive people with good usernames is very annoying.

3 Likes

This is a super duper good idea

1 Like

this is a good idea. i have a username ive been wanting on ig for over 3 years now and since then the person has had the same number of following, the same number of posts and the same prof pic :pensive:

1 Like