This idea has been swimming in my mind for some time now. Would love to hear your thoughts and the pros/cons you can generate.
No Follower/Following Count displayed
No ‘followers’ or ‘following’ would be displayed publicly, it would be in the backend of the account hidden from the public. I think that this could be really interesting, I’m not saying not to incorporate any metric whatsoever of popularity, I think that is very important. However, what if we measured success based on the level of engagement with the merit of each individual post, as opposed to a single account becoming ‘successful’ simply because it has a large follower count which automatically makes people more likely to follow. A popular posts page would have utility in ensuring users are given exposure for popular posts.
Individual posts could still have a like/dislike bar demonstrating how popular they are. Additionally, the choice to display ‘similar creators’ or ‘popular creators’ like youtube could be an alternative to individuals having a list of people they exclusively follow (enabling the ability for collaboration/cross-promotion between creators). Inevitably certain users will always become the most followed or most popular, however do we need a quantitative measure displayed to the public for the user to be considered ‘successful’ ?
- Eliminates single accounts becoming automatically popular based on the number of followers displayed
- Promotes the need for users to focus on engagement rather than follower metrics
- Allows users to focus on content rather than ‘status’ of their account, promoting quality content
- Prosocial in nature and promotes a positive community
- If someone chooses to subscribe/follow it is a decision made based upon whether you truly like the user’s content (engagement)
- Eliminates ease for bots/fake followers to follow users who have recently followed a popular account
- Completely different/novel to most successful social media platforms (risk)
- Need some other metric of popularity/engagement to indicate account is successful
- May not be as appealing for companies/social media marketing
- Is the point of social media to see who other people are following? (not sure)
Would love to know your thoughts!