the byte community forums

Byte Creators Becoming Contract Employees (Thoughts?)

I’m not saying this program should be for everyone. It should be for the content creators who have reach a certain level of success, but once one reaches that level why not let the big content creators become contract employees with byte. As content creators we’re the main reason why people come to these platforms so for the ones who actually take it seriously, why not have actual contracts with byte as contract employees. More importantly having a real business relationship with the dom and his staff which actually cares about their content creators, not relying exclusively on an alogrithim with no real communication. Share your thoughts below

4 Likes

As much as the idea seems great and wonderful, I don’t this is it chief. There would probably be some legal issues down the line. Idk maybe I’m just being a paranoid Expert.

8 Likes

hmmmmm🤔 I don’t think it’s necessary. From my understanding, Byte will have monetization. (invite only tho) And I’m pretty sure creators will be able to have brand deals. (like the vine days)
Becoming a contract employee could stunt your earnings. Just my opinion :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

How is success measured here?

3 Likes

I agree artists from the Creator program should be (by some miracle) given the opportunity to become contract employees, but in my opinion I think that a “successful” Creator :heart: trait would be creating unique improvements on the technology. Knowing the code, or having an original outlook on improvements.

2 Likes

Good idea… but I don’t think it s a big need. Dom indeed has said that videos can be monetized so there really isnt a big need

2 Likes

Monetization is keeeey…would definitely be a nice addition to social media apps now… definitely the move.

2 Likes

Unfortunately contracting people on Byte, especially the younger creators, may lead to some legal complications, and that’s the last thing we need lol… The thing that’s great about creating is that you’re free to create whatever you want whenever you want. You see YouTubers or other creators take month-long breaks sometimes for mental health/whatever reason they may have and they can come back after their break ready to create again. A contracted employee might not have that leeway, just like at a regular 9-5. Like what if the creator no longer wants to remain on the app? What would the consequences be for breaking the contract before it ends? It’d really depend on a lot of factors. I believe in monetization though, it’s a great idea to have a system like that in place depending on how it’s implemented :blush:

4 Likes

As far as I know, byte is made to have fun. I think the monetization is enough for the creators. Contract employment stuff will just make things messed up. Not every creator want to make byte full time, and a contract may limit them to have affiliations outside byte. Also, that might affect the difference between a byte creator and an actual byte employee. Just saying if that makes sense.

3 Likes

@midn8ght

As much as the idea seems great and wonderful, I don’t this is it chief. There would probably be some legal issues down the line. Idk maybe I’m just being a paranoid Expert.

My Response:

Respect you’re viewpoint on this. However, in my opinion, at some point Byte has to treat their successful content creators like employees, no different from how byte would treat their employees who do their coding, finance, marketing, etc. If byte becomes the next Youtube, or twitch, we should have direct access to the staff at byte. As far as legal issues are concerned that’s the point of contracts, and signing them. They shouldn’t be one sided though if Byte messes up on their end, then they should have consequences too, not just us as users and content creators on this platform. I feel that’s more of a terms of service issue though.

@ShawdGawd

hmmmmm🤔 I don’t think it’s necessary. From my understanding, Byte will have monetization. (invite only tho) And I’m pretty sure creators will be able to have brand deals. (like the vine days)
Becoming a contract employee could stunt your earnings. Just my opinion :man_shrugging:

My Response:

Understand where you’re coming from with this, but I feel if Byte wants to have an actual business relationship with its content creators, it needs contracts so content creators feel they can actaully invest in this platform They do this in traditional show biz such as hollywood, music, t.v shows, so since byte is an entertainment platform. they should be doing the same in my opinion

@ryanmccarley

How is success measured here?

My Response:

Success would be measured by certain statistics content creators reach on the platform such as:

Post at least 101 bytes
Reach at least 100,000 followers
Be looped a million times a month
Average a 100 comments a post

These are just minimum requirements to apply to the program. It will be up to byte if they want to monetize you or not. The reason the bar is to be high, is byte needs to accept people who are taking this platform seriously. No different from hiring an employee. Just because I can code “Hello World,” on github doesn’t mean I’m qualified to be a programmer.

@Fvidz1

Good idea… but I don’t think it s a big need. Dom indeed has said that videos can be monetized so there really isnt a big need

My Response:

Monteization is nice, but the one thing all these platforms lack is accountability on these platforms. Too often people who are big on Youtube, twitch are shut down for the most minuscule of reasons, but the terms of service is created to protect only the platforms themselves not the content creators. These big time content creators bring billions of viewers and dare I say revenue for these plaltforms. Why no specific contracts for them? They have contracts for people in traditional film, t.v, and music so why not the same for these platforms? Accountability and having communication is key for these platforms, that’s more balanced not just being treated like a number and pointing a vague terms of service.

@Reallyahmed

Monetization is keeeey…would definitely be a nice addition to social media apps now… definitely the move.

My Response:

Couldn’t agree more, but only time will tell if these platforms will really embrace that.

@alleyredd

Unfortunately contracting people on Byte, especially the younger creators, may lead to some legal complications, and that’s the last thing we need lol… The thing that’s great about creating is that you’re free to create whatever you want whenever you want. You see YouTubers or other creators take month-long breaks sometimes for mental health/whatever reason they may have and they can come back after their break ready to create again. A contracted employee might not have that leeway, just like at a regular 9-5. Like what if the creator no longer wants to remain on the app? What would the consequences be for breaking the contract before it ends? It’d really depend on a lot of factors. I believe in monetization though, it’s a great idea to have a system like that in place depending on how it’s implemented :blush:

My Response:

You’ve definitely got a point with the underage creators. I feel like with that case if one wants to monetize one should wait till they’re 18, but they still can still create until they reach said age. As far as breaking the contract before it ends, it would be no different than a regular job, if you signed a contract for “x” time you have to fulfill it, otherwise if you want to leave early one has to give a 2 week notice or some type of resignation, to see if byte will accept it or not. If they don’t then tough you have to do the contract till the end. They have contracts in traditional music, t.v, and film industry and once you sign you’re expected to meet certain requirements so this should be no different.

@iaanyll

As far as I know, byte is made to have fun. I think the monetization is enough for the creators. Contract employment stuff will just make things messed up. Not every creator want to make byte full time, and a contract may limit them to have affiliations outside byte. Also, that might affect the difference between a byte creator and an actual byte employee. Just saying if that makes sense.

My Response:

It makes sense what you said. The contracts are meant for the byters who are taking their craft seriously looking to make this a full time endeavor. Its not meant for everybody. The point of these contracts is so content creators can have a more balanced business relationship, so content creators can stay on these platforms and be treated more fairly. Right now all content creators are treated by some machine bot, and not by humans really. I’d like to see that change.

0 Likes

Taking the platform seriously seems to be rewarded with an invitation to the Creator Program. If Content Creators wanted a contract position (or full-time/part time payroll) Id be fair to go through a normal hiring process like everyone else who takes employment seriously. If Artists were employed based on the amount of users engaging with their content how will that aid staff in choosing the best possible candidate to be apart of their team, and help “build” their service?

Knowing how to, and the lesson behind coding Hello World may not make someone a qualified programmer. I agree with that, but I also think having a high loop count may not qualify an artist for tech employment.

The last question of the creator program google doc asks

what are you looking forward to from byte?
if it makes sense with our mission, we’ll do our best to build it!

which leads me to believe they want innovative ideas from users to build the app, and ultimately push it’s popularity.

1 Like

I think eventually there will be a lot of people who have grown quite large on the platform and each and every one of those knowing Dom personally would take a lot of his time up I’m not saying it’s a bad idea I just think monitization like other platforms use it is the way to go.

1 Like

Maybe doing it, would be an intelligent decision but I just don’t like the idea of having a contract so that byte becomes more a job than a passion, anyways, let’s wait and see what happens.

4 Likes

I feel like then Byte will only be supporting its popular creators which contradict with a previous idea that was stated by their team, “making it equal for all”

3 Likes

@ryanmccarley

Taking the platform seriously seems…

My Response:

My main reasoning for this is simply to have platforms be held accountable on both sides.

@Oren

I think eventually the…

My Response:

True it would take a lot of Doms time, but if not him then at least have a department dedicated to helping and advising content creaotors. Communication and lack of clear rules is the demise of all these platforms. If they solve those problems, this would make the big content creators on byte want to stay here long term. At least then I know what rules to follow and not to follow.

@Chabe

Maybe doing it, would be an intelligent decision…

My Response:

True. The point of doing contracts for content creators at the top is to make things more fair between the large content creators and the platforms they create on.

@jennifer

I feel like…

My Response

True

1 Like

I feel a better form of partnership should be a mentor program where Content Creators (big or small) can be ushered into marketing, advertising, etc by being given the knowledge, and support to outsource their own talents. I also feel like this would be something that embodies The 3 Principles of v2. Parts of which @jennifer mentioned.

2 Likes

v2? :joy: huuuh

3 Likes

Hmm. I think this will be another barrier between content creators. This is app geared around giving people equal opportunity no matter the status level. I think just having a big enough audience will ensure that those content creators will make money/business with third party companies and collaborations with major labels. I don’t think we’ll need that extra barrier.

2 Likes

Did you forget about this @ShonziTho?

2 Likes

well its not called v2 anymore thats wat i mean

1 Like