the byte community forums

Byte app question

This might seem like a dumb question to ask but do you guys think a phone number will be required to sign up when the app launches? Some apps require a working phone number to get a code to their phone. I would prefer signing up with an email.

11 Likes

That’s actually a good question. Considering two factor authentication is likely, it may be possible.

8 Likes

From Cami in Byte Bulletin 1:

But then again, if the app does have a two step factor feature then a phone will be a must. :+1:

10 Likes

Good question but I think this topic would fit better in either Solved and Answered or Ideas amd features request @annam

3 Likes

Do we have any confirmation on what devices are compatable?

2 Likes

The app will be released on iOS and Android

4 Likes

why not both email and phone number?
some people might not have a email, and byte is a PHONE app.

idk

2 Likes

Thanks. Since it’s an ongoing discussion which may generate quite a few different opinions, I’m going to leave it open.

2 Likes

putting this into #idea since it isn’t closed!

2 Likes

But if you have a phone then you have an email. iOS requires an email to activate, as does Android. Some people get phones to use without numbers, or maybe they can’t afford a number.

2 Likes

While nothing is official, I do remember reading somewhere that they wouldn’t use phone numbers but email instead

1 Like

Email would be best, because if you upgraded and got a new phone and new number, you would have to get a new account. Unless they find a way to transfer accounts, which seems too much hassle when you could just go with email.

2 Likes

For now, just email as Annam said. Phone number would be good for two step verification though :+1:

4 Likes