the byte community forums

App pricing. Holding back full app features for a cost?

Just spitballing as I believe Dom may have stated V2 will be a free app, but would a layered costing be a possibility? So as an example a basic point, film, load, play type of app is basic; but the above with upload and edit features costing $1.99 or whatever?

Reasons
Pro - capital, possible bot/age/account sitting/etc controls, true user controls, can gain capital to support ongoing innovation

Con - reducing possible audience, discouraging other types of app monetization (ads)

Discuss?

10 Likes

He recently posted and deleted about paying cents for comments or something like that and didn’t get a very good response so idk bout all that

0 Likes

I think as long as the app is fair without costing $ im open to the idea of special editing features costing money. I’m glad the comment idea wasn’t a big hit

9 Likes

Yes that’s really the core of what i meant. The app is open but the serious participant can get those extras, that I’m sure take some effort by designers.

2 Likes

I think i’m somewhat FOR this idea… but then again. We’re talking an app that could go in par with the rest of the other social media giants.

1 Like

i think all the features should be kept completely free for increasing the number of users on the platform.

11 Likes

I don’t think this would work.

1- what about the kids?
2- Wouldn’t it be like unfair for some creators that don’t have the money or aren’t older enough to pay for it?
3- most will rather stay on the free. I wouldn’t change for a filter.

15 Likes

Ew no pricing cause it won’t be fair at all then, I mean the users won’t be as motivated if there is any sort of pricing :confused:

4 Likes

Nawwwww micro transactions are ruining the things we love as we speak vine has been free since day 1 an needs to stay free :100:

2 Likes

This is the perfect mirror of my points.

1- what about the kids?
*Yes it could thin them out and control them on a more ‘adult’ app

2- Wouldn’t it be like unfair for some creators that don’t have the money or aren’t older enough to pay for it?

• 1 or 2 dollars? Seems like a very small barrier.

3- most will rather stay on the free. I wouldn’t change for a filter

• exactly but the advanced features would be out of their reach. No upload or editing. Whatever the difference could be.
4 Likes

The issue is that I don’t think many people would want to pay for ‘extra’ features, if they can just edit it on their computer for free.

4 Likes

But if you can’t upload that edited clip??

0 Likes

Exactly. I rather have other things for pay. Like emotes or barges about viners. Like a way to support them.

1 Like

You will. Well at least I think so. Many have been talking about letting people upload from camera roll. I think we will have this option.

1 Like

Dom confirmed that we we will have edit/uploading here

3 Likes

You’ve missed my point. That would be an option you’d pay to access.

0 Likes

Ahmm… Like I said before that would be so unfair to others.

1 Like

I really hope that V2 is free without any pro versions to pay for. Maybe a better way to pay for developing is to place ads.

3 Likes

Why ruin what’s already a great community? I’m sure @dom doesn’t want this to end up like Youtube, why monetize these six second clips when there is a huge possibility of what’s been happening on YouTube since April happen here?

1 Like

Don’t make it cost money. That sucks

3 Likes