the byte community forums

Addressing Predarory Behavors and Sexual Harassment/Abuse on Byte

I had brought this up once before, but I think it’s an important issues that bears repeating and discussion. Also, I’ve seen several tweets concerning these issues when Byte is released.

To recap my original post way back in January of 2018, one of the issues that was sadly prevalent on vine was predators use of it to target women, and children. An unfortunate situation on any social media app honestly. I’m just wondering/hoping what safeguards and/or protections will be put in place should this occur again. I’m sure people with more experience than me with these situations can sound off with a little more clarity, and maybe have some solutions.
@dom @cami_p

17 Likes

I would like to know the same thing. Kate Holmes posted it on Twitter. As usual, it devolved into a crap show. We are not trying to cause drama. We just don’t want the same things repeating from Vine.

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s dramatic to want safeguards/protections in place.

1 Like

I don’t either. It just gets perceived that way.

1 Like

Dom and the team are taking steps to ensure that predators are not looming around the app. This kind of behaviour is not acceptable on this platform (as is everywhere else), therefore, will not be tolerated.

As most of you may be aware, TikTok is notorious for being a grooming platform in which abusers can manipulate their victims (who are typically underaged) into performing sexually induced activity. This is one of the issues that the team are willing to overcome.

Absolutely NONE of this behaviour should be tolerated. If you see this happening anywhere, please report it. The majority of victims are children, and have been brainwashed into thinking this is normal. It is not.

Please click this link to donate to a charity of your choice fighting against human trafficking and sexual violence:

https://www.rcne.com/links/international-organisations/

10 Likes

Basically everything @annam said. :100:

RUdPyQP

5 Likes

@annam thank you, good to hear

1 Like

@annam thank you for addressing it. In the past, it was not only children. We had one guy filming himself on Tinder dates having sex, etc. Can we have your word that complaints of inappropriate sexual themes, contact, etc will apply to adults also?

2 Likes

Yes, it was my mistake to not acknowledge that adults are also victims. Thanks for pointing that out.

The reason why I mentioned children specifically was due to the fact that they are more likely to be victimised as they are vulnerable and are not at an age where they can make huge decisions for themselves.

And although I am not a part of the team developing the app, I will try my absolute hardest to prevent this issue on the forums. It’s disheartening to see that this still happens in the real world.

6 Likes

I totally understood your comment. Thank you so much for caring.

1 Like